The Spray Foam Roofing Process
Commercial building and facility managers choose Cozifoam
Want to know about the spray foam roofing process?
- First, the trained professionals from Cozifoam, servicing Edmonton and the surrounding area, will inspect and prepare the substrate for the application of polyurethane foam. In the case of an existing tar and gravel roof, this includes removing the loose gravel, dust, and debris, inspecting the bared roof carefully for damage, delamination of felt and tar layers, flashing problems, and more.
- Next, after any needed repairs are completed, a primer is applied if necessary to ensure proper adhesion of the foam to the substrate.
- In the next step, a layer of polyurethane roofing foam is sprayed uniformly over the surface. Roofing foam is a special high-density foam, 1.5 times more dense than the closed cell foam used to insulate walls. This gives roofing foam amazing resilience to traffic and impact (like hail) while maintaining its waterproofing and insulating capabilities.
- The foam is spray-applied as a liquid and expands within a few seconds to about 30 times its liquid volume. It hardens within seconds to support foot traffic. As it expands, it completely fills any gaps, cracks, or fissures on the roof and seals perfectly around stacks, flashings, drains, etc. Typically slightly wavy in appearance, the foam can be applied in graduated thicknesses to faciliate drainage.
- Finally, a waterproof coating is applied over the top of the foam. Although polyurethane foam is waterproof and will never rot, mould, or mildew, it can be broken down by exposure to ultraviolet rays present in sunlight. The coating protects the foam from sunlight and provides an additional protective layer, sealing your roof against moisture intrusion. As the coating is very elastic (500% elongation), it helps bond the foam to flashings and other materials.
Typically, we recommend applying at least 1.5″ of foam, which provides an R-value of 10. Our experience shows that this foam thickness virtually eliminates ice damming and ice accumulation caused by heat loss through the roof. In some cases, our spray foam roof has nearly tripled the R-value of our clients’ roofs! When you’re dealing with polyurethane spray foam roofing, the coating layer takes all of the abuse that Mother Nature throws in your roof’s direction. As long as the coating layer is maintained and renewed as necessary, your roof will last indefinitely. Polyurethane spray foam roofing is truly a sustainable roofing system.
When you’re looking for a commercial roofing company, choose Cozifoam!
Cozifoam has an A+ Rating from the Better Business Bureau!
15 Year Warranty
Our Commitment To Excellence
When you choose a Cozifoam Roof Armor System, you’re covered by one of the most comprehensive roof warranties in the industry. We stand behind our work, so that’s why we’re proud to offer our exclusive “No Nonsense-If-It-Leaks-We’ll-Fix-It” 15-year written warranty.
With satisfied business owners in Edmonton, Cold Lake, Grande Prairie, and throughout the surrounding area, it’s clear to see why Cozifoam is the area’s trusted source for durable, cost-effective flat roof repair.
For even greater peace of mind, let us maintain your roof and drainage systems for you. Our Roof Maintenance Agreements can save you thousands!
Want to know more?
Roof Maintenance Agreements
A new roof is one of the biggest investments you’ll make in maintaining your building, so it only makes sense to protect it. To help explain how can a roof maintenance agreement help you do that, here are some answers to commonly asked questions:
Why does my roof need maintenance?
People tend to think that as long as their roof doesn’t leak, there’s no need for roof maintenance. This is not true. Why? Because every roof is constantly under attack from weather extremes, dirt and debris accumulation, third party damage, structural movement and even chemicals in the atmosphere. Regular maintenance is needed to detect problems when they can still be corrected easily and inexpensively.
What can damage my roof?
- Dirt and debris
Dirt and debris can accumulate on a low-slope roof—blocking drains, impeding water drainage, and hosting plant growth. (We’ve often found trees growing on poorly maintained roofs we’ve replaced!) All these conditions hasten the degradation of your roofing system and shorten its lifespan. Regular cleaning and maintenance extends roof life and reduces repair costs.
- Third party damage
Third party damage can result from tradesmen servicing other building systems, passersby throwing debris on the roof, or even animals.
- Extreme weather conditions
Extreme weather can damage stacks, flashings, rooftop equipment or even the roofing system itself. When promptly detected, such damage can usually be repaired quickly and inexpensively.
Routine roof maintenance will correct minor problems like these before they escalate into major problems that may result in leakage and expensive water damage.
How much money can a Roof Maintenance Agreement save me?
Firestone Building Products and the Roofing Industry Alliance for Progress have done long-term studies that reveal building owners who have roof maintenance contracts extend their roof’s lifespan by as much as 61%, reducing their lifetime roof cost by 56%! For example: imagine two identical 20,000 sq. ft. buildings with identical new roofing systems, costing $140,000 in total. If these roofs receive regular maintenance, the studies found these roofs could last 21 years. Without regular inspections, these same roofs lasted only about 11 years before needing to be replaced, costing the owner another $140,000 (and that’s without inflation!)
What are the benefits of roof maintenance?
The benefits of roof maintenance are clear. The owner of the well-maintained roof saves at least $118,000 on his building maintenance costs! If you add to the equation the inconvenience of leaks and the cost of drywall/ceiling repairs, as well as emergency leak repairs, the cost of not properly maintaining your roof is enormous.
Long term studies have shown that roof maintenance contracts extend a roof’s lifespan by as much as 61%, reducing their lifetime roof cost by 56%. That’s tens of thousands of dollars!*
What will a Cozifoam Roof Maintenance Agreement Cost Me?
The annual cost of a Cozifoam Roof Maintenance Agreement can vary slightly according to the location and use of the building, its proximity to trees, the number and type of rooftop units and so on, but generally these agreements cost about 10 cents/ sq ft of roof area, with a minimum of $250 for smaller roofs. A mobilization fee may apply for outlying areas.
What services will a Cozifoam Roof Maintenance Agreement include?
The Cozifoam Roof Maintenance Agreement includes one yearly inspection of your Cozifoam spray foam roofing system, including:
- Checking for and repairing loose flashings
- Checking and cleaning roof drains and scuppers
- Cleaning and removing accumulated debris
- Checking for and repairing third party damage (i.e. damage caused by maintenance technicians (i.e. HVAC), passersby, animals)
- Checking for and repairing damage from extreme weather
- Provide a written report on the condition of the roof to the building owner
- Repair or replacement of damaged areas is limited to 1% of the total roof area per year
- The Maintenance Agreement is renewable on a yearly basis or can be prepaid for the term you desire. A 10% discount applies to prepaid Maintenance Agreements.
Why do I need a Maintenance Agreement if my roof already has a warrant?
Your Cozifoam ‘No Nonsense: If It Leaks, We’ll Fix It’ 15-year warranty is one of the most comprehensive plans in the industry, giving you real protection against defects in material or workmanship that could cause leakage on your roof within the 15-year warranty period.
Let’s use the analogy of the warranty on a new car. When you purchase a new vehicle, you can get a bumper-to-bumper comprehensive warranty. But will the Warranty cover replacing wiper blades, changing oil, or repairing damage that happens when somebody backs into you in a parking lot? Of course not!
Our Maintenance Agreements protect you against things no warranty can possibly cover: neglect, lack of reasonable maintenance, prompt repair of third party damage, and so on. Our Maintenance Agreements provide you with total peace of mind and protect your investment!
Can you provide a Maintenance Agreement for systems other than Cozifoam spray polyurethane roofing systems?
Yes, we can offer a Maintenance Agreement for virtually any low-slope or flat roofing system. The terms and conditions, of course, will vary slightly. We can provide a quote for the services we can offer after inspecting your roof. The inspection report includes pictures of what we find on your roof and a written report on its condition. There is a minimum $400 charge for this inspection, which is deducted from the cost of your first Maintenance Agreement.
Call today, start protecting your investment!
*This example is provided for illustration purposes only and is not to be taken as an indication of roof system costs or a guarantee of longevity.